Some of the event staff can speak English, but the Regular Stargazing Parties are conducted primarily in Japanese. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
To make for an enjoyable Regular Stargazing Party, please read the following beforehand.
1. Before you arrive
Please note the following points before you arrive.
- Please dress in comfortable clothes and shoes which are easy to walk in. (Please refrain from wearing shoes which light up because the light interferes with the stargazing activities.)
- In the summer, please take precautions against insects. In the winter, please take precautions against the cold.
- The area where the Regular Stargazing Parties are conducted is designated non-smoking.
- Please do not bring your pets with you. (Service animals are allowed.)
- Registration is located in the lobby of the Central Building (the short building located directly ahead as you enter the Front Gate) of NAOJ Mitaka Campus.
- In order to ease congestion, please follow the specified times.
- At Registration, please present proof of your reservations (an email printed out or displayed on the screen of your cellphone, a post card, etc.) in order to receive your ticket and reference materials (English materials available upon request).
- Attendees will be assigned to groups. A group number will be written on your ticket (1A, 1B ... 4A, 4B)
Registration Time | April-September
First-half registration time: 7:30 pm - 7:55 pm
Second-half registration time: 8:10 pm - 8:35 pm
Registration Time | October-March
First-half registration time: 6:30 pm - 6:55 pm
Second-half registration time: 7:10 pm - 7:35 pm
The orientation (Japanese language only) is given based on the order printed on the tickets, starting from 1A, 1B (50 people).
Each orientation session lasts approximately 10-15 minutes and a new group starts every 20-25 minutes.
4. Astronomical Observation (Fair Weather Only)
- Each group moves to the 50-cm Telescope for Public Outreach in order, starting from “A.”
- The observing targets might change based on the weather conditions.
- We will double-check and collect your tickets before you look through the telescope.
- Flash photography and photographing the celestial objects through the eyepiece of the telescope are prohibited.
- After you have finished observing, you are free to leave at your own leisure. Please take care as you return home.
In the case of rain or bad weather, astronomical observations can’t be conducted.
- The orientation in the lecture room will be extended by about 15-20 minutes.
- In the lobby, commentary using the Four Dimensional Digital Universe visualization software Mitaka will be offered (minimal English).
- In cloudy weather, after the orientation, tours of the 50-cm Telescope for Public Outreach will be conducted in Japanese. (In the case of rain, you are free to leave after the orientation.)
- A Regular Stargazing Party will be canceled if a weather warning is announced or if we determine that there is a danger to the participants. Cancelation notifications will be announced via Twiiter (Japanese language only).